Thursday, September 02, 2004

Hanging On

Luckily I'm still practicing with the team but the regular basketball practice has lately made me rather fatigued. The coach’s new system requires us to outrun the opponent because of our significant lack in size and bulk so apparently he wants us to boost our fatigue levels a couple of notches higher to maintain our speed and intensity throughout the game. That together with discipline and tireless hard work will be our advantages when playing against the much taller and bigger opponents.

I'm hope I could make the final cut, I have been working on both my strength and weakness, my jump shot and my ball handling respectively. I shoot before practice, I shoot during practice, and I shoot after practice, but I still have to find the range beyond the 3pt line. My dribble needs some work as well. I still find it rather difficult to efficiently execute the pivot and the jump hop, both skills needed to gain separation from a defender in order to get a good look at the basket. In fact, I am not really a good one on one player; I’d rather pull up for a shot when the ball ends up in my hands. But with the improved ball handling I can take my man off the dribble, break a full court press and and/or create scoring opportunities for my teammates and myself.


I don’t mind waking up at 5am for workouts, sprinting, stretching, taking pain relievers, or playing with a sick stomach anymore because the thought of improving, being better, being the best, is emphatically stimulating.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home